Arts Industry News: Jay-Z and Beyoncé Storm the Louvre and Take Over Art History + More Must-Read Stories
Plus, former Stedelijk director Beatrix Ruf speaks out and a billionaire Russian collector's private museum takes shape in Moscow.
Art Industry News is a daily digest of the most consequential developments coming out of the art world and art market. Here’s what you need to know this Monday, June 18.
How Ann Philbin Transformed the Hammer – The Los Angeles Times takes a look at the extraordinary career of Ann Philbin, who has transformed the Hammer from a quiet university museum into an international powerhouse. During her 19-year tenure as director, Philbin has quintupled the museum’s operating budget—and turned away potential board members who don’t share her progressive values. (LA Times)
Behind Interview Magazine’s Demise – Billionaire Peter Brant says he put $7 million of his own money into the now-bankrupt magazine founded by Andy Warhol, describing himself as its “biggest creditor.” The magazine’s former editorial director Fabien Baron, who is trying to collect $498,000 in back pay, was infuriated to hear that the title would be relaunched in the fall with Brant’s daughter as president. (New York Times)
Jay-Z and Beyoncé Take the Louvre – In a showering of manna for the art press worldwide, the first music video for the Carters’ surprise joint album, released over the weekend, guest stars the Mona Lisa and other treasures in the Louvre. The video for the track Apeshit was shot in secret over two nights with choreography by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. Paintings featured range from Géricault’s The Raft of the Medusa to Marie-Guillemine Benoist’s Portrait of a Negress. (NYT)
Beatrix Ruf Says She Was Forced to Resign – The former director of Amsterdam’s Stedelijk, who has been cleared of wrongdoing by a new report, says she felt forced to resign by the museum’s board amid a conflict of interest scandal. The most painful part, she says in a new interview, was knowing “that I didn’t take money, and all these people knew I never did sleazy deals.” She likened the experience to being “hit by a bus.” (Artsy)
Why Artists Need a Cut of the Auction Action – Kerry James Marshall got zip when Sean “P. Diddy” Combs paid $18.5 million for his painting Past Times at Sotheby’s New York last month. If the work had sold in Europe, the artist would have been entitled to royalties, albeit a paltry $14,700. Fractional shares, enabled by blockchain technology, could make it easier for artists to get a cut of the action in the future. (The Art Newspaper)
Planned Euro Import License Horrifies Dealers – Dealers are fighting a proposal to tighten import regulations to European Union countries, which would mean art, antiques, and antiquities that are more than 250 years old would require a license. The change is aimed at reducing the trade in illicit cultural heritage and profiteering by terrorists, but dealers say it hasn’t been properly thought through. (TAN)
A Rubens Surfaces in South Africa – A portrait of an elderly man recently attributed to the Flemish Old Master is being sold at Stephan Welz & Co. in South Africa. The painting has been consigned by the heirs of a German-Jewish doctor who took it with him when he fled the Nazis to Africa. (Antiques Trade Gazette)
What Art Basel Costs Dealers – Smaller galleries pay around $50,000 to show in the Statements section; mid-sized galleries pay around $150,000 for a modest booth in the main fair’s second floor; while the big galleries pony up around $400,000 to be on the first floor of Art Basel. Meanwhile, dealers better find an affordable Airbnb—a room at the swanky Hotel Trois Rois could set you back $7,000 a night. (Artsy)
COMINGS & GOINGS
Billionaire Plans Major Russian Museum – The energy magnate Leonid Mikhelson, Russia’s third-richest person and the head of the V-A-C foundation, will open a $130 million Renzo Piano-designed art center in a former power plant in Moscow next year. Mikhelson’s collection of contemporary art is worth around $200 million and includes work by Gerhard Richter, Christopher Wool, and Rudolf Stingel. (Bloomberg Quint)
Storm King Plans Summer Solstice Celebration – Looking for an excuse for a weekend getaway? The beloved sculpture park in the Hudson Valley is planning its annual celebration on June 23, complete with a farm-to-table dinner al fresco prepared by Gramercy Tavern’s chef and a live musical performance by a 13-piece band. Guests can stroll Storm King’s summer exhibitions, including “Indicators: Artists on Climate Change.” (Press release)
Spencer Tunick’s Nude Shoot Will Proceed – The photographer’s planned mass naked photoshoot in a parking lot in Melbourne is going ahead after the supermarket chain Woolworths, which owns the property, had a change of heart. Back in April, Woolworths said the project would be too disruptive to its Saturday shoppers. The shoot is now scheduled for a less busy Monday morning on July 9. (BBC)
Joan Jonas Wins Kyoto Prize – The performance art pioneer has nabbed the Inamori Foundation’s $900,000 prize. She will give a lecture and receive the award, along with a 20-karat gold medal, in November. Jonas has also been invited to take part in the Kyoto Prize Symposium next year in San Diego, California. (ARTnews)
FOR ART’S SAKE
Tate Announces 2019 Program – The four Tate galleries in London, Liverpool, and St. Ives have revealed the highlights of their 2019 programs. Tate Liverpool will present the UK’s first retrospective of Keith Haring, while Tate Britain will showcase the abstract paintings of Frank Bowling in a major survey exhibition. Other pioneering artists with projects in the pipeline include Olafur Eliasson, Otobong Nkanga, and Dorothea Tanning. (Press release)
Meet a Self-Evaluating Artwork – The V&A’s current artist-in-residence Rachel Ara has created an electronic work, This Much I’m Worth, that registers social-media mentions, stock markets, and the length of time that viewers linger in front of it in order to measure its own fluctuating value. (Financial Times)
After Three Days Buried Alive, Artist Mike Parr Resurfaces – The Australian artist was brought out of the underground container where he lived without food for three days as a part of a performance piece for the Dark Mofo art festival. It took road workers two hours to unearth Parr, who was buried under a busy street as a comment about the brutal history behind Australia’s founding. (Guardian)
Lost Bauhaus Fonts Are Being Unearthed by Adobe – As a part of Adobe’s project “Hidden Treasures,” which rediscovers and implements lost design elements, the software giant is digging into Bauhaus archives to reconstruct typefaces that have not been seen for nearly a century. The project comes as Germany is readying for huge worldwide celebrations to mark the design movement’s 100th anniversary in 2019. (Co.Design)
Follow artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.