From the Highlights of Frieze Week to Jeff Koons’s Snapchat Collab: The Best and Worst of the Art World This Week
Plus, surprise trends at Frieze in London, and we remember publishing magnate SI Newhouse as an avid and discerning collector.
- David Geffen is donating $150 million to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, making it the largest cash gift in the history of the museum. That’s a lot of money!
- From pronouncing “Egon Schiele” to wielding an auction paddle, actress Julia Stiles told artnet News all about the challenges of playing a curator on her new Sundance series, Riviera.
- Frieze Week did it’s thing in London, with a spotlight on subversive feminist artworks, plus a push to reintroduce Julian Schnabel’s artwork to the market at Frieze Masters. Here’s the best of Frieze, Frieze Masters, Sunday, and 1:54.
- Sotheby’s auction saw mixed results in London: records were broken for artists Josef Albers and Thierry de Cordier, but big-ticket lots went unsold as well. In Hong Kong, meanwhile, a rare Ru Bowl fetched $37.7 million following a heated bidding war.
- An artist claims to have found a secret in Marcel Duchamp’s final work, so he built a replica of it to make his case. We visited the otherworldly installation, housed in the New York studio where Duchamp worked.
- Thanks to a new augmented-reality collaboration with Snapchat, Jeff Koons’s famous sculptures can be conjured around the world with just a click of the app. It’s the perfect marriage of cutting-edge and obvious.
- After the opening of Frieze London, collector Stefan Simchowitz posted a rant on Facebook directed at “gallery idiots” who he says are lying about why they supposedly can’t sell artwork to him.
- President Trump finally released his proposed tax reform plan, but experts in the field delivered a range of opinions on whether high-net-worth individuals (like collectors) will really be pleased with the results.
- documenta’s CEO finally broke her silence and addressed the show’s financial troubles, citing air conditioning and hotel tabs as two sources contributing to the deficit.
- What does Marina Abromović taste like? The performance artist has partnered with Ladurée to create a macaron based on her life.
- The publishing magnate SI Newhouse, chairman of Condé Nast, passed away this week, and we looked back at his storied art collection.
Follow Artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.