Who Said This: Leonardo DiCaprio or Julian Schnabel?
The Oscar winner vs. the artist.
It’s a good week to be Leonardo DiCaprio. The actor, art collector, and notorious man-about-town finally landed his Oscar, and we imagine is celebrating accordingly—perhaps with the purchase of some flashy new art. But it’s also a good time to be art world bad boy Julian Schnabel, whose exhibition is on view at his son Vito Schnabel’s St. Moritz gallery.
This got us to thinking—DiCaprio and Schnabel aren’t so different at all, are they? Both are VIP art world fixtures, both possess a certain love-them-or-hate-them quality, and both have been dominating their respective industries for several decades. In fact, we’re a little surprised Schnabel hasn’t taken a shot at joining DiCaprio’s party crew, which includes such friends as Lukas Haas, Harmony Korine, Helly Nahmad, and Tobey Maguire.
In honor of DiCaprio’s and Schnabel’s successes, we’ve assembled some of their best quotes from throughout their years of fame. Can you tell who is who? See the answers below.
1. “I’m not the kind of person who tries to be cool or trendy, I’m definitely an individual.”
2. “I’ve always been spontaneous and outgoing…I’ve tried lots of things so I’ve got some good life experiences, which is great ’cause it means I’ve got lots of material to work with…”
3. “I think that truth is stranger than fiction, and it’s nice to know the people you’re making a movie about.”
4. “If you can do what you do best and be happy, you’re further along in life than most people.”
5. “My compulsion is to create things.”
6. “I’ve never made a movie to make money.”
7. “I think style is a fringe benefit that looks like you made it.”
8. “If I want to go to a party with a few male friends, it doesn’t mean I’m gay.”
9. “You can’t have a good bullfight without a good bull.”
10. “My career should adapt to me. Fame is like a VIP pass wherever you want to go.”
1. Leonardo DiCaprio
2. Leonardo DiCaprio
3. Julian Schnabel
4. Leonardo DiCaprio
5. Julian Schnabel
6. Julian Schnabel
7. Julian Schnabel
8. Leonardo DiCaprio
9. Julian Schnabel
10. Leonardo DiCaprio
Follow artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.