See Highlights from the Newly Reopened Mauritshuis
Home to The Goldfinch, the museum just had a $41 million facelift.
The Hague’s Mauritshuis Royal Picture Gallery welcomed the international press on June 20, 2014, unveiling its much-awaited refurbished galleries ahead of the public opening on June 27.
The bijou museum is home to some of the world’s most famous paintings, including Rembrandt‘s The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp (1632), Vermeer‘s Girl with a Pearl Earring (c.1665) and Carel Fabritius’ The Goldfinch (1664), which came to global prominence with Donna Tartt’s eponymous Pulitzer-prize winning novel.
The $41-million refurbishment comprises a new Royal Dutch Shell Wing masterminded by Amsterdam-based practice Hans van Heeswijk Architects. The steel and slate extension doubles the museum’s floor space, and has allowed for the creation of new galleries and public facilities.
The existing galleries have been improved while respecting their former selves—a discreet approach that has been welcomed by critics. Most of the paintings have remained in their original location, except for a handful of the most celebrated ones, which have been repositioned to better serve the crowds hoping to catch a glimpse of them.
The Mauritshuis was built between 1636 and 1644 for the Count Johan Maurits van Nassau-Siegen. It was bought by the Dutch state in 1820 and opened as a museum in 1822.
Follow Artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.