Best and Worst of the Art World This Week in One Minute
Including Anish Kapoor, Aby Rosen, and Hasted Kraeutler gallery's scandalous closing.
1. Researchers found what they believe may be a secret passageway in King Tut‘s tomb to the burial chamber of Queen Nefertiti.
2. Jeff Koons, Jasper Johns, and Ed Ruscha topped the list of the most expensive living artists in America, but others may surprise you.
3. Scientists posited that humans may have actually evolved to love and appreciate fine art.
4. Aby Rosen, who bought his first Robert Mapplethorpe photograph at age 11 for just $200, was among 7 real estate moguls with art addictions we explored.
5. Who should take over the Armory Show? We hedged our bets on one of these seven contenders, including Jeffrey Deitch, Cecilia Alemani, and Alexander Gilkes.
2. Ugly allegations surfaced between Joseph Kraeutler and Sarah Hasted, partners of recently-shuttered Chelsea photography gallery Hasted Kraeutler.
3. The Honolulu Museum of Art sued collector Joel Alexander Greene over donated works that may have come from a smuggling ring.
4. Would-be art flippers looked to cash in on the Richard Prince Instagram appropriation parodies made earlier this year by the Suicide Girls.
5. Anish Kapoor accused Chinese authorities of blatantly knocking off his famed “Cloud Gate” sculpture in Chicago and plans to sue. Who will protect the Bean?
Follow Artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.