The Best and Worst of the Art World This Week in One Minute
Melva Bucksbaum, hashtags to know, and Banksy's new theme park.
1. Illustrator Mary Engelbreit riled conservative fans once again with drawings in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.
2. We gathered the six most Instagrammed art shows, ever.
3. Ben Davis offered some handy hashtags to help you navigate the art world online.
4. Danh Vo, Marina Abramovic, and Jay Z were some of the names involved in the most recent heated art world spats we surveyed.
5. Street artist Banksy revealed his latest project—a subversive Disneyland parody he calls Dismaland.
1. Beloved art collector and patron Melva Bucksbaum died.
2. Anish Kapoor got furious at Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel for calling the plagiarism of his “bean” sculpture “flattery.”
3. French artist Alan Fertil died in a tragic accident in Brussels at the age of 33.
4. An ugly painting touted as a work by Andy Warhol sold for $247,000 at a Mississippi auction house but experts doubted it was authentic.
5. ISIS beheaded 82-year-old Syrian antiques expert Kahled al-Assad after he refused to reveal where valuable artifacts had been moved for safekeeping.
Follow artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.