Speed Read: The Top 10 Art News Stories for October 20-24
From a Banksy hoax to a shipwrecked Nazi bronze.
1. Richard Prince Sucks
Paddy Johnson weighs in on why Prince’s Instagram-sourced show at Gagosian…well, sucks.
2. Has Banksy Been Arrested Outside London?
A fake news website plus major social media pickup equals a rumor that ruffled feathers in the art world and beyond. But luckily, Banksy remains as free and anonymous as ever.
3. 25 Must-See Museum Shows Around the World
Hop on a plane and go to see our favorite shows from Arkansas to Amsterdam. Or maybe just check out the pictures.
4. Autopsy Unmasks King Tut’s True Face, and It Isn’t Pretty
Thanks to a “virtual autopsy,” we now know Tut looked nothing like the idealized golden burial mask we’re used to seeing.
5. Paul McCarthy Beaten Up Over Butt Plug Sculpture
It turns out Parisians don’t take kindly to public sculptures resembling giant sex toys. Who knew?
6. What to Do with Uruguay’s Massive Shipwrecked Nazi Bronze?
This is what happens when a 700 pound swastika-bound eagle sculpture washes ashore.
7. Ron Perelman vs. the Whole “Ugly” Art Market
His fallout with Larry Gagosian (whom he once referred to as “the most charming guy in the world”) has inspired Perelman to attempt to expose the art world’s “dirty” underbelly.
8. Banksy Paints New Mural to Prove He’s Not in Jail
Just in case you believed the hype.
9. Wall Street Bankers Love Art About Money
It may not be an earth-shattering headline, but we’ve got the scoop on the works the Nouveau riche crave (hint: one such painting is called Let Them Eat Chanel).
10. Top 10 Art-Inspired Halloween Costumes For You
Still haven’t figured out a costume? Take a hint from Magritte, Hirst, or Kusama.
Follow Artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.