10 Ridiculous but True Rules for Navigating Art Basel in Miami Beach
These rules are only for serious art world players.
1. When packing, leave the black items in your wardrobe behind.
1. Buy artworks before you get to the fair. If you’re making an appearance, do it only to be seen.
2. Skip all museum shows, openings, performances, and other satellite events. Boring! Waste of time.
3. Don’t be caught dead wearing comfortable shoes. It’s Miami—suffer for beauty.
5. Conspicuously consume. Make sure to be seen munching $20 sandwiches and stay close to the Ruinart champagne trolley.
6. Bring plenty of Benjamins. Cash is king in South Florida, which is, in essence, Latin America.
7. Be at least two hours late to anything, or be alone.
8. Do not pay for your dinners.
9. If you aren’t on the list, and, in some cases, even if you are, don’t bother trying to get in. Really.
10. By now, if you haven’t reserved your black chauffeured Cadillac Escalade to get you around, it’s all over.
Go to artnet News’s Art Basel in Miami page for the latest coverage, including
“9 Art World Pick-Up Lines Guaranteed (NOT) To Work At Art Basel in Miami Beach”
“Art World Sexy, Powerful, and Intimidating List: People You Need to Network With in Miami”
“15 Art Basel in Miami Beach Parties You’ll Never Get Into.”
Follow Artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.