7 Questions for Venus’s Anna Furney During Frieze
See which museum show and bar Furney recommends.
1. What’s your advice on how to best navigate an art fair?
Art fairs can be impressively overwhelming—both in terms of the amount of art being exhibited, as well as socially—it is easy to be distracted when running into friends and colleagues. I always say that the best way to navigate an art fair is to educate yourself in advance as to what various galleries are exhibiting—but not to be too rigid about what you intend to see…. One of the greatest pleasures of an art fair is the discovery process. I always try to remain curious and surprise myself with new artists and artworks at neighboring booths.
2. How do you celebrate/wind down after the VIP preview?
As this is Venus’s first time exhibiting at Frieze NY, I don’t yet have a tradition or celebration. However, I’m looking forward to toasting our team for all of our efforts.
3. Can you reveal what work you’re most excited to be bringing to Frieze this year and why?
Venus has compiled an incredible selection of works by H.C. Westermann that will be exhibited in the fair’s Spotlight section. Westermann is a widely beloved artist’s artist who had a major Whitney Museum retrospective in 1978. His work has been shared and celebrated in small niche circles for many years. However, it will be an exciting moment for Venus to share Westermann’s narrative and significance in art history with a broader selection of collectors and curators.
4. You’re a New York space, what’s your secret NYC restaurant/bar tip?
Bemelmans bar for a martini and French fries will never disappoint.
5. Which emerging artist do you love at the moment?
I am so incredibly excited about Elaine Cameron-Weir. She is an impressive young sculptor whose understanding and manipulation of material never ceases to amaze me.
6. Which museum show do we need to catch during Frieze Week?
“Andra Ursuta: Alps” at The New Museum cannot be missed.
Alex Katz at the Met is also a wonderful gem.
7. Apart from NYC (obviously!) what city would you say has the best art scene at the moment?
Follow artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.